On the Eve of Black Friday

How, exactly, did Thanksgiving Day merely become the “Day Before Black Friday” (otherwise known as “Black Friday Eve”)?

Some people will be out shopping before even starting their Thanksgiving dinner!  And, of course, there are those who have already done some pre-Black Friday shopping on-line (hangs head in shame).

Be that as it may.  It is COLD here today, and I intend to spend the day in my nice warm sweats, playing videogames (and writing posts), and eventually sharing a non-traditional Thanksgiving meal with my husband.  Our grown children all had other plans, so we decided to forego the whole turkey fiasco and enjoy a nice ravioli dinner instead.  Easy, less cleanup, and since we seldom make entire dinners of any kind and never have Italian, it will be a treat for us.

That’s probably #1 on my list of Things To Be Thankful For Today – the ability to do what I want without worrying about others judging me.  Here is a short list of other things I’m thankful for, in no particular order:

Drivers who use turn signals – You know who you are, and I truly appreciate your courtesy to the rest of us.  They are very, very few of you left.

Microwaves – Without them, I’d probably starve to death.  No way am I washing dozens of dishes, pots and pans every night.

Shopping carts that work – This got added yesterday after an entire grocery shopping trip spent fighting a cart with one stuck wheel.  We’ve all been there, done that, and I don’t know about anyone else, but on the occasions I get a cart that actually rolls, I definitely find myself giving thanks.

Winter days when it doesn’t snow – This is Buffalo, New York, people: snow is our life in winter.  Although I hear that Syracuse got more snow than we did over the last few days.  I hope it stays there.

My newly repaired camera – Gotta love that zoom lens!  And the “moon” setting!  (And the fact that the moon doesn’t move, unlike those pesky birds I’ve been trying to photograph.)

My favorite wine store – For making the holidays (well, actually, EVERY day) more cheerful.

Having turned into my mother – Yes, you read that right.  My mom was a great woman, who raised good kids who became responsible adults, and I’m proud to have followed in her footsteps.  Also, she taught me the love of wine – in moderation of course.

Socks – How else can you keep your feet warm?  I buy them extra large and thick, for cold winter nights.

Puppy Cody – Even when she eats my socks.

Probably, I could go on and on, but I know you all want to get to your Thanksgiving Day activities (and pre-Black Friday shopping!).

Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone!

Stay safe and warm, wherever you are.

__________
I love to hear from my readers. You may comment on this post, comment on my Facebook or Twitter pages, or email me at cordeliasmom2012@yahoo.com
__________
Image by Cordelia’s Mom

This entry was posted in Holidays and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to On the Eve of Black Friday

1. Tippy Gnu says:

Happy Thanksgiving to you, too. Oh yes, that zoom lens is very nice.

2. ladyryl says:

Happy Thanksgiving to you…..
    Nice list of things to be thankful for!

• It is – but I forgot to add that I am thankful for all the new friends I met here on WP! Happy Thanksgiving. (I know the Canadian Thanksgiving was a couple of weeks ago, so I guess it’s a belated Happy Thanksgiving.)

• Archon's Den says:

Canadian Thanksgiving was 6 weeks ago. It rhymes with Oktoberfest, here in Kitchener. We are now being infected with the American Black Friday, even though no-one gets off work to shop. Thanx Trump. 😯

• Not to defend Trump (I’m adamantly NOT a Trump supporter), Black Friday has been in existence since way before his entrance into the White House. And yes, I’ve seen a number of Canadian cars down here on Black Friday despite it not being a Canadian holiday.

• Archon's Den says:

I meant that it’s only been in existence in Canada (perhaps only in Ontario, but I doubt that) since Trump blundered onto the scene.
            As for Canadian cars full of shoppers in Buffalo on Black Friday…. You can’t trust those sneaky, old retirees – except me and mine. 😀

Liked by 1 person

3. Barry says:

Thankfully, we don’t have Thanksgiving day here in Aotearoa New Zealand…

…yet. In recent decades we’ve adopted Valentine’s day and more recently Halloween, so who knows?

Traditionally, the biggest day of the year for retailers has been Boxing day ( the day after Christmas day), but in the last few years they have been promoting Black Friday, and for some it is now the busiest day of the year. As for me, I’ll give it a miss.

4. Dan Antion says:

Happy thanksgiving CM!

5. joey says:

Good list 🙂
    I don’t do the Black Friday thing, and will probably spend much of the day in thick socks!
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

• I wasn’t planning on doing any Black Friday shopping, in person or on-line, but we just happen to be in the market for a new snowblower, and it has been snowing, and there was a really good deal, and there’s free delivery to the store (so I don’t have to worry about porch thieves). I don’t know if that makes me savvy or a hypocrite, but the new snowblower will be much appreciated.

Liked by 1 person

6. Happy thanksgiving to you and yours. (灬♥ω♥灬)

7. I dislike Black Friday in all it’s incarnations and always feel horrible for people who work retail and have to give up their holiday for customers irrational need to shop. News flash… all those items will go on sale again the closer we get to Xmas. Enjoy your turkey, and let others do the same.

8. willowdot21 says: